Sunday, August 19, 2007

Sweet Mixte Single-Speed




I recently built up a Peugeot mixte frame to sell. It's on Craigslist at the moment, but I was so happy about how it came out that I wanted to put some info up here on it. The number one thing I tried out on this one that I had never done before was I bought traditional white cloth tape and shellac'ed it in the traditional manner. I wonder why people stopped doing this. Wow does it look great. Everyone who has seen it so far commented on how great those bars look. If you're thinking about redoing a set of bars, this is really a good way to go. And it was cheap, too, another plus. I understand from other riders that you can just re-shellac the bars at any time afterward if they start to get worn. That's a much better solution than buying new cork tape at $14 and this looks better!

I took all the single-speed gear that had come with my green Peugeot before I put the gearing back on, and set this bike up that way. These mixtes look good as single-speeds I think. Better than the diamond frames anyway.

Also a trick, for any of you who are converting a Nervar or Stronglight cottered crank to a fixie or single-speed, if you turn the bottom bracket spindle around, you can get a perfectly straight chain line. Better functioning and it sure looks nice.

10 comments:

c-steve said...

Hi!
I am proud, to be the first to comment your blog.Probably I am even the first visitor except you.
I am also in love with French Lightweights. But I also like Dutch and British. i don´t know why, but I always get a kick out of seeing high flange hubs and half chromed forks. I recognize French bikes from more than 100 yards away without knowing why.Unfortunately there seems to be no "scene" here in Germany.
I will drop by once in a while and link your blog to mine. Best wishes,Steve

K Matthias said...

Thanks Steve! I spot French bikes a mile off, too. You can tell from the laid back, nicely curved front fork, and the longer wheelbase. There's a subtle beauty in the geometry not usually found in other rides. I love mine!

c-steve said...

Hallo,K!
Surfing Bike related stuff made leave the PC and build up a bike from the Stuff I had collecteted over the years.
Alan Carbon Frame (100 Euros with Headset, stem, bars, seatpost on Ebay)Mavic GEL 330 wheels with Mavic Hubs, Modolo Equipe brakes, 600 EX crankset (the first quality item i bought in 1983 at the age of 15, 116 hard saved D-Mark)my first Campy Record Derailleur from ´84. All mixed up. The only thing I had to buy was Grips. Only 7,8 kg!! Not french but a beautyful ride and 4 hours of fun building it up.
But this one is still my favourite:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_34rl0K8rHq8/RtF2oobfduI/AAAAAAAAABc/SiHNo6waehY/s1600-h/i-1_B_L.jpg
It has another Saddle now.

K Matthias said...

Nice! A Super Competition. I would love to have one of those. Beautiful bike, 531 tubing, lugs. :) Enjoy it.

Sounds like that Alan is going to be fun.

c-steve said...

I have a second PX10E of the same era. But without fenders an with the original drop bars. All parts original, 61 cm seat tube. It´s for sale at 300§. But shippin to US might be quite expensive. The Alan is real fun, but I must learn to use the downtube levers again....

K Matthias said...

Steve,

Well thanks, I think with shipping and all it would top $500 to get the PX10E here. Not in my price range at the moment. Cheers for the offer, though. I may be in the markey for something like that next spring though. --Karl

c-steve said...

Gonna send you pics of that PX10. shipping might probably be cheaper. Once my financial situation gets worse i might put up a new offer....

K Matthias said...

Steve, yeah send me the pics. I'm always interested! --Karl

c-steve said...

O.k.! I just go and buy me a camera!
Btw, did you ever visit
http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/ ?
I love it! A critical,sarcastic sometimes cynical view on the NJS/FixedGear-Scene.A beautyful read, nice language.

K Matthias said...

Oh man, that guy is hilarious! I like the article on "The Riddle". LOL.

Yeah I'd send you a digital camera if I had an extra lying around. ;)

 
insuranceusa.com
insuranceusa.com